The Camtraptions Trail Camera bridges the gap between a traditional research trail camera and a high-quality DSLR/mirrorless camera trap. It has the same form factor as a regular trail camera, but can capture dramatically improved images at night because of its unique compatibility with Camtraptions off-camera speedlight flashes.
The Trail Camera has an inbuilt PIR motion sensor to detect animals and automatically trigger the camera. It can be configured to record still photographs or video clips.
At night, still photographs can be illuminated in several different ways:
- Using the camera's inbuilt infrared (IR) LED which produces no visible light and results in black and white photos that look similar to those taken by other trail cameras.
- Using a white LED external module which works in the same way as the inbuilt infrared LED but results in colour images.
- Using a white light xenon flash module which illuminates the scene for a very short period of time resulting in sharp, colour photographs, even if the subject is moving.
- Using one or more off-camera speedlight flashes for sharp, artistically-lit, colour photographs.
Videos can be illuminated using either the inbuilt infrared LEDs or the white LED external module. More advanced lighting setups can be created by connecting an LED Light Panel Kit or USB Lighting Kit via the Trail Camera Speedlight Flash Adpater (a simple 2.5mm stereo female to 3.5mm stereo male adapter would be required to make the connection).
The ability to use one or more off-camera speedlight flashes means that photographs can be lit creatively for dramatic effect or for natural-looking nighttime scenes. The Camtraptions Trail camera is therefore the most cost-effective way to capture well-lit camera trap photographs at night. It is also an excellent tool for experimenting with camera trap lighting without needing to set up a full-blown DSLR or mirrorless camera trap.
Photographed with the Camtraptions Trail Camera and two speedlight flashes.
- 5MP Sony CMOS image sensor.
- 4K (3840*2160) upscaled video files with a 61.5 Mbit/s data rate and 15 FPS
- 1080p (1920*1080) video recording with a 24.3 Mbit/s data rate and 30 FPS
- 50° field of view lens
- Infrared black and white images at night illuminated with an inbuilt high-powered IR 850nm LED.
- Colour images at night illuminated with an optional external LED or flash module.
- Compatible with Camtraptions speedlight flashes for advanced off-camera/multi-flash lighting.
- Trigger response time of 0.2 seconds.
- Inbuilt 2.0-inch display for image playback and settings menu.
- Supports micro SD cards with capacities up to 256GB (sold separately).
- Dustproof and waterproof grade: IP66.
- Operating temperature range: –20°C~70°C.
- Optional information bar on photos showing date, time, temperature, moon phase and camera ID number.
- PIR sensing angle of 50°, sensing distance up to 20 meters.
- Standby time of up to 12 months using 8 * AA alkaline batteries (not included).
- 12V DC socket on the bottom of the camera, for extending the standby time with an external battery.
- Daily time windows can be set up so the camera operates only when needed.
- Optional pin code to restrict camera access.
- Inbuilt microphone, speaker and temperature sensors.
- Includes a strap for mounting the camera on a tree or post.