External Battery System for Cameras
The Camtraptions External Battery System dramatically increases the life of a remote or camera trap set-up by powering your camera with a larger capacity battery.
The system consists of a dummy battery, which is inserted into the camera's battery compartment, and an NP-F Battery Adapter Plate. This NP-F Adapter Plate is compatible with the highly popular Sony NP-F battery type. The major advantage of this system is that a range official and third party NP-F type batteries are available in a variety of different capacities and sizes. The largest NP-F970 battery has a capacity of around 8,800mAh!
Each dummy battery also comes with a small gender converter adapter, to easily change the plug type from male to female or female to male whenever necessary.
- If you do not need the dummy camera battery, then you can buy the NP-F Battery Adapter Plate on its own here.
- If you just need the dummy battery and not the NP-F Battery Adapter Plate, then you can exclude the NP-F plate by selecting the "NP-F Plate Not Included" option above.
- The system can provide a significant increase in battery life for your camera. For example, when paired with an 8,800mAh NP-F970 battery the life of a typical camera can be increased up to 8x!
- Adapters available for a large range of digital SLR and mirrorless cameras.
- The camera’s existing battery life indicator can be used to check the remaining charge.
- Fits into our New Camera Housing even when used with a large NP-F970 battery*.
- The high-quality coiled cables offer a maximum extension of 110cm.
- Output voltage of 7.2-8.4V, input voltage 7.2-8.4V.
- Battery Adapter Plate Size: 95mm x 50mm x 20mm
*not when paired with the largest DSLR cameras such as the Canon 1DX or Nikon D5.
The External Battery System comes with a dummy battery, which plugs into your camera instead of its usual battery. The correct dummy battery must be chosen for your camera model:
Nikon EN-EL15 is compatible with the following Nikon cameras: Z7, Z6, D850, D810, D800, D750, D610, D600, D500, D7500, D7200, D7100, D7000
Nikon EN-EL14 is compatible with the following Nikon cameras: D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D3500, D3400, D3200, D3100, P7800, P7700, P7100
Canon LP-E6 is compatible with the following Canon cameras: 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5DS, 5DS R, 6D, 6D Mark II, 7D, 7D Mark II, 60D, 60Da, 70D, 80D, EOS R
Canon LP-E8 is compatible with the following Canon cameras: 550D, 600D, 650D, 700D
Canon LP-E10 is compatible with the following cameras: 2000D, 4000D, 1200D, 1100D, 1300D
Canon LP-E17 is compatible with the following cameras: 77D, 800D, 750D, 200D, 760D, RP
Sony NP-FW50 is compatible with the following Sony cameras: NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-7, A33, A55, A5100, A6000, A6300, A6400, A6500, A7, A7 Mark II, A7R, A7R Mark II, A7S, A7S Mark II, RX10, RX10 III, RX10 IV
Sony NP-FZ100 is compatible with the following Sony cameras: A7 MK III, A7 MK IV, A7R MK III, A7R MK IV, A9, A9 MK II, A6600
Panasonic DMW-DCC12 is compatible with the following Panasonic cameras: GH3, GH4, GH4R, GH5, GH5s
If your camera is not listed above and you would like to find out about compatibility, then please get in touch.
How much longer will my camera last?
It is possible to work out the increase in your camera's battery life when using the External Battery System. Find out the capacity of your existing camera battery (it should be written on the battery itself and is measured in “mAh”). Then find out the capacity of the NP-F battery you want to use, measured in “mAh”. Divide the NP-F capacity by your existing battery’s capacity. This will tell you how many times longer the camera will last when powered by the External Battery System.
1x dummy camera battery and cable
1x plug gender converter adapter
Optional: 1x NP-F type battery adapter plate with ¼ inch mounting screw and 2.1mm to 2.5mm plug size adapter
The NP-F battery is not included and must be purchased separately.
Recommended NP-F batteries
NP-F type batteries are readily available from many retailers. Here are links to a few example third-party batteries: